That city is El Segundo which was part of “Rancho Sausal Redondo”, a rancho with a land mass of nearly 25,000 acres that extended from where Playa Del Rey is today, east to where Inglewood is today, and as far south as Redondo Beach. Prior to 1917, the land was covered with wheat and barley fields where cattle and sheep grazed in peace. All of that changed when five men representing Standard Oil came to the city to survey the area for a second potential site for their oil refinery. It was perfect. On January 18, 1917, less than six years after the opening of the refinery, the City of El Segundo was incorporated. The city remained a quiet one-industry town until the 1920s, when Mine’s Field, a landing strip used by early barnstormers, was chosen as the site for the new Los Angeles Municipal Airport. Then, in the mid-1950s, Southern California Edison purchased a 43-acre site for a major electrical generating station.
The Los Angeles International Airport, which officially opened in 1930, had a major role in turning El Segundo into a aerospace center. Douglas Aircraft, Hughes Aircraft, Northrop and North American Aviation (Rockwell) all located in El Segundo during the 1940s and 1950s. Most of these aircraft-related companies would eventually transition into the aerospace/defense industry. In 1960, the creation of The Aerospace Corporation and Los Angeles Air Force Base gave El Segundo the esteemed title of “The Aerospace Capital of the World.”